SUBSTITUTING TRADITIONAL RED SAUCE FOR WHITE SAUCE
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR THIS RECIPE:
Monterey Jack cheese (mozzarella also works)
diced green chiles
salt & pepper
HOW TO MAKE WHITE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH CREAM SAUCE:
TIPS FOR COOKING AND SHREDDING CHICKEN:
If you’d like, you can turn the broiler on high and broil these for a minute or two until cheese is slightly browned and bubbly.
Serve warm with your favorite sides.
WHITE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS RECIPE
Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas are made with flour tortillas, shredded chicken, mozzarella, green chiles and a delicious white cream sauce!
Originally published: April 2012
Updated and republished: May 2019
EASY WHITE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken can use a store-bought rotisserie chicken
- 10 flour tortillas (taco size)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (or mozzarella)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- salt & pepper & Adobo seasoning, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- You can cook your chicken a couple of ways. You can roast a couple of chicken breasts in the oven. Just drizzle a bit of olive oil on them and season with salt and pepper and cook for about 35-45 minutes.
- Or you can boil your chicken until cooked. Or you could use a store bought rotisserie chicken. It just depends on how much time you have to prepare this and what flavor you want from your chicken. The roasted and rotisserie chicken are going to give you the most flavor.
- Once chicken is cooked, you'll want to shred it using two forks. Or if you have a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, put your chicken in the mixing bowl. Turn mixer on and within a minute your chicken will be perfectly shredded.
- Add in 1 cup of shredded cheese to shredded chicken along with salt, pepper and Adobo (if using.)
- Place chicken mixture in each of the flour tortillas.
- Roll them all up and place them in the baking dish.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter.
- Whisk in flour and let cook and thicken for 1 minute (don't let it burn).
- Add chicken broth and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in sour cream and green chiles. Be sure not to let the mixture boil.
- Take sauce off the heat and pour it over the enchiladas.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
- If you'd like, you can turn the broiler on high and broil these for a minute or two until cheese is slighly browned and bubbly.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS? GIVE THESE A TRY!
SWISS CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
CREAMY SHRIMP ENCHILADAS
HOMEMADE FLOUR TORTILLAS
CROCK POT CHICKEN ALFREDO LASAGNA
RITZ CHICKEN CASSEROLE
FAST AND EASY TERIYAKI CHICKEN
OLD-FASHIONED CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
CROCK POT CHICKEN AND GRAVY
MOMMA’S SPANISH RICE
CROCK POT CHICKEN AND RICE BURRITO BOWL