This is my Go-To Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. It comes out perfect every single time and makes the best, soft, milk-dunking cookie!
FOOLPROOF CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE
Who doesn't love a warm, soft chocolate chip cookie right out of the oven with a glass of super cold milk? It is pure comfort food. This is my go-to recipe for chocolate chip cookies. I think I have it pretty much memorized at this point. Also, this is a great base recipe so feel free to add in chopped pecans or walnuts or even different flavored chocolate chips or even peanut butter chips. It is very easy to customize!
TIPS FOR MAKING DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES:
- It is recommended that you chill the dough before baking. This is not absolutely necessary but I have read that it does help the cookie to rise a bit better.
- Once you scoop the cookie batter, add two or three chocolate chips on top. This is not necessary but I think it makes for a prettier cookie when it's finished baking.
- Make sure your baking powder and baking soda are fresh and not expired. Most problems that occur with baked goods is because the rising agents (baking powder/soda) are no longer effective.
- Only bake one tray at a time. Too many trays and you end up with uneven baking (unless you consistently rotate the trays.)
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- unsalted butter
- light brown sugar
- large eggs
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- chocolate chips
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES:
Preheat oven to 375F degrees. In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle, cream together butter and sugars until well blended and fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, mix in vanilla and mix until well incorporated.
Add flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and mix until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
Scoop dough (about a tablespoon each) onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. I used one of those spring release cookie scoopers - makes it so much easier. In between batches keep the bowl of dough in the fridge to keep cool.
Bake in the preheated oven about 10-12 minutes, depending on how gooey you like the interior, until very lightly browned, taking care not to over-bake. I had my rack in the middle part of my oven and it took about 11 minutes. Only bake one sheet pan at a time. Let cool on rack and store what you don't immediately eat in an airtight container.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
GO-TO CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE
- 2 sticks cold and cubed unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ½ cups chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle, cream together butter and sugars until well blended and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mix in vanilla and beat until well incorporated.
- Add flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough (about a tablespoon each) onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Use a spring release cookie scooper if you have one. Optional: Dot the top of each cookie with 2-3 chocolate chips.
- Bake in preheated oven about 10-12 minutes, depending on how gooey you like the interior, until very lightly browned, taking care not to overbake.
- Note: In between cookie batches, keep bowl of dough in the fridge to keep it cool.
- Only bake one sheet pan at a time.
- Let cookies cool on rack and store what you don’t immediately eat in an airtight container.
Originally published: January 2011
Updated & republished: March 2020