This Upside Down Apple Cake is layered with a brown sugar, pecan and apple topping, baked until golden brown then flipped over for a light, fluffy and glazed cake!
AN EASY TASTY FALL APPLE CAKE
I love fall and all the flavors that come with it! This Upside Down Apple Cake is full of flavor and super easy. It looks impressive but is far easier to make than you might think. The best part is it uses a boxed cake mix that we really jazz up! This is one cake that you do not want to pass up. I love upside down cakes and since apple is one of my favorite flavors, I had to share with you this scrumptious recipe. If you are looking for a new fall apple dessert then you have to whip up this Upside Down Apple Cake recipe! It is autumn in cake form!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
You can use your favorite baking apple in this recipe – I used Gala. Some other good apples include: Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Jonagold, Pink Lady, Braeburn and more.
I would normally serve this with either a dollop of whipped cream or scoop of ice cream. You could also drizzle this with some caramel syrup if you’d like.
While pecans are really great with this recipe, you could certainly swap them out for walnuts.
The best things to flip this cake over on would be a larger serving platter or a baking sheet like I did.
Do not wait until the cake is fully cooled. You want to flip after letting the cake sit about 5-10 minutes. This ensures that the topping does not stick to the pan and it will still come out nice and gooey.
Of course! You could use a spice cake mix if you like that kick of cinnamon. Or you can use your own homemade cake mix as well.
This can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator where it will keep for up to 3-4 days. This can also be frozen, wrap in plastic wrap and then foil and it will keep in the freezer for up to 1-2 months. To defrost, remove from the freezer to the refrigerator overnight until thawed. You can warm each slice up in the microwave for about 30 seconds to 1 minute until warmed through.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- salted butter
- light brown sugar
- classic yellow cake mix
- apple pie spice (store-bought or Homemade Apple Pie Spice)
HOW TO MAKE AN UPSIDE DOWN APPLE CAKE:
Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9×13-inch baking spray with nonstick cooking spray (I like the kind that has flour in it). Set aside. In a medium size bowl, mix the melted butter, brown sugar and pecans until combined.
Pour this mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread around until evenly covered.
Next, layer the apple pieces in an even single layer over the brown sugar mixture. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, mix the cake mix, eggs, water, oil and apple pie spice until combined.
Evenly and gently pour the cake batter over the apples in the baking dish.
Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake is set, edges are pulled off and when inserting a toothpick on the top layer it comes out clean.
Let the cake sit for 10-15 minutes. Take a thin knife and release the cake from the edges. Carefully flip the cake onto a serving platter.
Then slice and serve. Optional: top slices off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES?
Upside Down Apple Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray (I like the kind that has flour in it.)
- In a medium size bowl, mix the melted butter, brown sugar and pecans until combined.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and spread around until evenly covered.
- Next, layer the apple pieces in an even single layer on top of the brown sugar mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the cake mix, eggs, water, oil and apple pie spice until combined.
- Gently pour over this cake batter evenly over the apples in the baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake is set, edges are pulled off and when inserting a toothpick on the top layer it comes out clean.
- Let the cake sit for 10-15 minutes. Take a thin knife and release the cake from the edges.
- Very carefully flip the cake into a serving platter. Slice and enjoy. Top with some vanilla ice cream, if preferred.
- This recipe works best with sliced apple and not diced apples.
- Use any of your favorite baking apple (Gala, Granny Smith or Golden Delicious work best.)
- Pecans can be swapped for walnuts if you’d like.
- This can be frozen, see above on how to do that.
- Flip this on a large serving platter or baking pan.
- You can use white cake or a homemade yellow cake for this recipe.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.