Tater Green Bean Casserole is a simple twist on the classic casserole. Green beans, O'Brien potatoes, cream soup, cheese, and seasoning!
TATER GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
During the holidays, I am a side dish fanatic. Yeah, the turkey and ham is nice and all but what I look forward to the most is the side dishes. I love a good ole green bean casserole. So, I thought, how can I 'beef' it up a little without changing it too much. Y'all, I tossed in some finely diced potatoes and it turned out amazing!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
O'Brien Potatoes are frozen finely diced potatoes, onions, green and red peppers. They are found in the frozen food section of your grocery store near the hash brown potatoes.
You could substitute with shredded frozen hash browns. For this recipe, if you want to use fresh potatoes you would need to finely dice them then par-boil them so they would cook evenly with the other ingredients.
I will tell you that my entire family detest mushrooms. None of us like them and I can tell you that absolutely no one tastes mushrooms in this dish. However, you could substitute with cream of chicken or cream of potato. If you like the flavor of celery then you could even use cream of celery.
To turn this side dish into a main dish, add some protein! Add one pound of cooked and crumbled ground beef, chicken or turkey to step one of this recipe.
Yes. You can prepare this casserole as written (just don't bake it). Cover well with plastic wrap then aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn. It will last up to 3 months in the freezer. When ready to prepare, allow the casserole to defrost overnight in the refrigerator then proceed with the cooking directions below. Just don't forget to remove the plastic wrap before cooking.
Leftovers should be stored (covered) in the refrigerator for no more than 3 days.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- cream of mushroom soup
- garlic salt
- black pepper
- frozen O'Brien potatoes
- green beans
- French's® Crispy Fried Onions
- shredded cheese
HOW TO MAKE TATER GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE:
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, whisk together soup, milk, garlic salt and black pepper. Stir in frozen potatoes, green beans, 1 ⅓ cup onions and 1 cup cheese.
Pour mixture into a 13x9-inch baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese and 1 ⅓ cups french-fried onions.
Bake 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and onions are lightly browned.
Then serve! A perfect twist on the classic green bean casserole!
CRAVING MORE HOLIDAY RECIPES? GIVE THESE RECIPES A TRY!
Potato Green Bean Casserole
- 2 (10.5 oz) cans Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (28 oz) bag frozen O'Brien potatoes
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans any style Del Monte® Green Beans drained
- 1 (6 oz) container French's® Crispy Fried Onions divided
- 2 cups shredded cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, whisk together soup, milk, garlic salt and black pepper. Stir in frozen potatoes, green beans, 1 ⅓ cup onions and 1 cup cheese.
- Pour mixture into a 13x9-inch baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese and 1 ⅓ cups onions.
- Bake 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and onions are lightly browned.
- O'Brien potatoes are finely diced potatoes, onions and peppers found in the freezer section of your grocery store near the hash brown potatoes.
- Use any cream soup you enjoy, such as cream of chicken or cream of potato.
- To make this side dish a meal, add 1 lb. cooked ground beef or ground turkey in Step 1.
- See my notes above for freezing instructions.