Fresh and flavorful, these Salmon Pinwheels are the perfect easy (but impressive) appetizer that are effortless and everyone enjoys!
A SALMON PARTY APPETIZER
Fresh salmon slices and a delicious horseradish spread make these Salmon Pinwheels a tasty and elegant appetizer that you can serve during the holidays or any time of year. This is a recipe that I got when visiting Alaska a couple of years ago. I had no idea how well salmon and horseradish flavors go together! The horseradish flavor is tempered a bit with the cream cheese, fresh dill and lemon flavors. I seriously urge you to give this Salmon Pinwheel Appetizer a try for your next gathering (or just because!)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
You can either find pre sliced smoked salmon packaged with the other salmons in the meat section in your grocery store or behind the deli counter. It will usually be in vacuum sealed packaging.
Creamed horseradish is smoother with a milder taste. It also doesn’t require refrigeration. Regular horseradish has a more potent flavor and does need to be kept refrigerated. I don’t like an overpowering horseradish taste which is why I like the creamy horseradish.
The creamy (or creamed) horseradish sauce can be easily located along with all the other condiments in your grocery store. Regular full-strength horseradish (if you want a stronger flavor) would be by the sour cream as it needs to be chilled.
You could use a little bit of wasabi if you like that flavor. Or a bit of hot mustard or mustard powder. Or you can just leave it out altogether and just use the cream cheese spread. Perhaps try going with a flavored cream cheese like chive or vegetable cream cheese.
Yes, you can use 1 teaspoon of dried dill for this recipe.
You can store these in an airtight container where they should keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I do not recommend freezing.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- smoked salmon
- cream cheese
- creamy horseradish sauce
- fresh chopped dill
- spring onions
HOW TO MAKE SALMON PINWHEELS:
Mix all ingredients for the filling and add pepper to taste.
Take a big piece of plastic wrap and place flat on a surface, evenly place the salmon slices beside each other on the plastic wrap. Make sure they overlap a tiny bit on all edges to get a nice salmon wrap.
Spread the cream cheese filling evenly over the salmon, leaving out an inch at the bottom.
With the help of the plastic wrap carefully roll up the salmon from the top to the bottom. Try to wrap it as tight as possible.
Wrap the plastic around it at the end and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to help the filling to set and the rolls to stabilize.
Take out of the refrigerator and cut into 1 inch rolls using a very sharp knife.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES?
- Mix together 10 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature, 3 teaspoons creamy horseradish sauce, 2 teaspoons fresh chopped dill, 2 finely sliced green onions, ½ lemon (juice and zest) and add pepper, to taste until combined well.
- Take a big piece of plastic wrap and place flat on a surface, evenly place the 12 ounces pre-sliced smoked salmon slices beside each other on the plastic wrap. Make sure they overlap a tiny bit on all edges to get a nice salmon wrap.
- Spread the cream cheese filling evenly over the salmon, leaving out an inch at the bottom
- With the help of the plastic wrap carefully roll up the salmon from the top to the bottom. Try to wrap it as tight as possible.
- Wrap the plastic around it at the end and place in the refrigerator for at least 5 hours to help the filling to set and the rolls to stabilize.
- Take out of the refrigerator and cut into 1 inch rolls using a very sharp knife.
- Serve cold.
- You can double this recipe either by adding to the same roll or making two rolls.
- You can substitute the creamy horseradish sauce with cream cheese and chives.
- Make sure that you refrigerate these for at least 5 hours.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.