Patriotic Jell-O Marshmallows are the perfect 4th of July (easy!) treat that kids and adults will have a blast making and eating!
A FUN AND EASY RED, WHITE AND BLUE TREAT
This fun little treat is for all the kiddos in your life. Or, for all the grown-ups who want to feel like a kid again. It’s just a really fun, easy and tasty project. You can experiment with different flavors of Jell-O. We decided on Alex’s two favorite, Strawberry and Berry Blue.
FUN, KID-FRIENDLY 4TH OF JULY IDEA
A good idea would be to set it all up outside on a picnic table. And then just let the kids have at it. That way you aren’t trying to sweep up Jell-O powder that always seems to make it’s way into every tiny crevice of your kitchen. They are a little tangy from the Jell-O powder and sweet from the marshmallows. And definitely kid-friendly!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- jumbo marshmallows
- your favorite Jell-O flavors (strawberry & berry blue work perfect!)
*Safety tip for little children: Sometimes you can find toothpicks that are called fancy toothpicks that are blunt on the ends. Remember, always supervise those little ones when doing this so no one pokes an eye out while deciding to toothpick sword-fight. 🙂
HOW TO MAKE PATRIOTIC JELL-O MARSHMALLOWS:
First, put toothpicks in all the marshmallows. Just push it all the way down so it will stay in the marshmallow. And arrange them on a large plate or tray.
In a bowl, filled with water about 2 inches deep, dip your marshmallows all the way in.
Lightly blot excess water off on a paper towel. You do this because you don’t want that drippy water in the Jell-O powder or it will get all clumpy on ya. But the water will help the Jell-O stick to the marshmallow.
Roll in the Jell-O powder mix – set aside and REPEAT. It helps to put the powdered Jell-O on plates so there is lots of room to roll the sides and bottom of the marshmallows.
Then stick them all back on a plate or tray and pop them in the fridge for about an hour.
They’ll get all nice and cold and the outside forms a little crust to it. Then dig in! Did I mention these smell great? I loved opening my fridge after these had been in there a while just to get a whiff of the berry smells.
WANT MORE RECIPE IDEAS?
Patriotic Jell-O Marshmallows (+Video)
- 1 bag jumbo marshmallows
- 2 boxes your favorite Jell-O flavors (strawberry & berry blue work perfect)
- 1 cup water
- toothpicks (see safety tip below)
- Insert a toothpick into each marshmallow and arrange on a tray or cookie sheet.
- Pour dry Jell-O powder into a shallow dish or shallow bowl.
- In a separate bowl, fill with water about 2 inches deep.
- Take each marshmallow by the pick and dip all the way into the water
- Lightly blot marshmallow on a paper towel to get the excess drippy water off.
- Roll in the Jell-O powder mix – set aside and REPEAT
- Refrigerate for at least an hour then serve.
- Safety tip for little children: Sometimes you can find toothpicks that are called fancy toothpicks that are blunt on the ends. Remember, always supervise those little ones when doing this so no one pokes an eye out while deciding to toothpick sword-fight.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Originally published: June 2012
Updated & republished: June 2019