Making your own Homemade Breakfast Sausage is so much easier than you might think and has so much flavor! It only takes a few minutes to make and doesn't require any special equipment!
A TASTY HOMEMADE BREAKFAST TREAT
Hands down, this Homemade Breakfast Sausage is so much better than anything that you will find at any grocery store. With fresh flavors from the herbs, it is not overpowering but just right. Plus you can serve this with any of your favorite breakfast dishes. It's also great crumbled up and browned to make your own sausage gravy too! Yum!! If you want to try your hand at making your own flavored sausage then you really must try this Homemade Breakfast Sausage recipe!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Marinating the meat with the herbs lets the herbs become more absorbed into the mixture giving it more flavor. However, this step can be skipped if you are in a hurry and/or totally forgot to make it ahead of time. The herb flavor won't be as strong but it will still have amazing flavor!
Since I use crushed red pepper flakes in this, there is a very slight heat. It really isn't much because I have acid reflux and just can't do much anymore. But you can absolutely omit this ingredient if you are super sensitive to any spice.
If you crave spice then you can add more crushed red pepper flakes or you can add some chipotle powder or cayenne pepper as well. This will give you heat while giving you some additional flavor.
Depending on the size, this will make 12 patties. You can go larger or smaller depending on your preference. Cooking times will vary.
Yes, You will want to add 1 ¼ teaspoon of dried herbs for every 1 ½ tablespoon of fresh.
These can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container where they will keep for up to 3 days. They can also be frozen. I like to wrap in plastic wrap and then place in a freezer bag or container and they will keep for up to 3 months. To defrost, place in the refrigerator overnight until thawed or you can reheat in the microwave/skillet/air fryer until heated through.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- ground pork
- light brown sugar
- fresh sage
- fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
- poultry seasoning
- smoked paprika
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE BREAKFAST SAUSAGE:
Place the ground pork, garlic, brown sugar, sage, thyme, salt, pepper, pepper flakes, poultry seasoning, and paprika in a large bowl.
Mix until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least one hour. Overnight is best if you have the time.
Portion the sausage into 12 equal pieces and form into patties.
Place a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the sausage on each side for about 4-5 minutes until an internal temperature reaches 165°F. Serve immediately.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES?
Homemade Breakfast Sausage
- 1 ½ pounds ground pork
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar packed
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Place the ground pork, garlic, brown sugar, sage, thyme, salt, pepper, pepper flakes, poultry seasoning, and paprika in a large bowl.
- Mix until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least one hour. Overnight is best if you have the time.
- Portion the sausage into 12 equal pieces and form into patties.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the sausage on each side for about 4-5 minutes until an internal temperature reaches 165°F. Serve immediately.
- This recipe can easily be doubled if you'd like.
- We like to at least marinate for 1 hour, you can skip this if you are in a hurry.
- These go great will all breakfast foods.
- This is a very versatile recipe, you can switch up the spices if you'd like.
- These can be frozen, see above on how to do that.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.