These homemade sweet and salty Chubby Hubby Bars were inspired by the cult favorite Ben & Jerry's ice cream. So good!
CHUBBY HUBBY BARS RECIPE
Have you ever had Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby ice cream? It's vanilla ice cream with chocolate and peanut butter and pretzels. It is creamy and sweet with a hint of saltiness from the pretzels. If you like that combination of flavors then you are sure to love these bars. They are basically chocolate chip cookie bars with peanut butter and pretzels added.
TIPS FOR MAKING THESE SWEET AND SALTY BARS:
- The fun part of this recipe is you can really have fun with the ingredients. I am using a mix of peanut butter and chocolate chips and pretzels. You can switch it up with dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips or even add some crushed up salted potato chips instead of pretzels.
- These bars should be eaten within two days or can be frozen for up to 6 months.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
light brown sugar
chunky peanut butter
semi-sweet chocolate chips
peanut butter chips
HOW TO MAKE THESE SWEET & SALTY BARS (STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS:)
HOMEMADE KIT KAT BARS
HOMEMADE CHERRY PIE BARS
NO-BAKE APPLE YUM YUM
PATRIOTIC SUGAR COOKIE BARS
PEANUT BUTTER PRETZEL BITES
STRAWBERRIES & CREAM DESSERT BARS
HOMEMADE HUMMINGBIRD CAKE BARS
CREAMY LEMON SQUARES WITH NILLA WAFER CRUST
CHUBBY HUBBY BARS
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cups unsalted butter (1 ½ sticks), room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups chocolate chips, divided use
- 1 ½ cups chopped pretzels, divided use
- ½ cup peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray (I like the kind that has flour in it.)
- Put pretzels in a sealable bag, and chop them up (roughly). I just pound mine with a rolling pin.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- Using a mixer, beat together butter, light brown sugar and white sugar at medium speed.
- Mix until combined and fluffy.
- Mix in eggs, vanilla and peanut butter.
- On low speed, slowly add in your flour mixture just until it is incorporated into the batter.
- Add in 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1 cup chopped pretzels. Stir this mixture up with a spoon, batter will be very stiff.
- Spread batter into baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together remaining toppings, ½ cup chopped pretzels, ¼ cup chocolate chips and ½ cup peanut butter chips.
- Sprinkle mixture over top of batter.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool before cutting into squares.
Originally published: February 2012
Updated & republished: October 2020