This Easy Chicken and Drop Dumplings recipe is full of flavor and can be made in about 30 minutes. A creamy broth, tender chicken and fluffy dumplings.
EASY CHICKEN AND BISQUICK DROP DUMPLINGS
I think when a lot of folks are asked for their list of Top 5 comfort foods, Chicken and Dumplings comes up in that list. It certainly does for me. My Mom made chicken and dumplings a lot when I was younger. She usually made Chicken and Drop Dumplings. My favorite part was always the dumplings.
My Momma worked long and labor intensive hours as a school custodian but she always tried real hard to make dinner for us kids. My Dad was in the Navy and was out to sea a lot serving our country. They both had tough jobs and I suppose you don’t always appreciate your parent’s hard work until you are grown.
BISQUICK DUMPLINGS MAKE IT EASY
I look back now, and I truly appreciate my Mom always trying to get a good meal on the table even though she was exhausted most days and didn’t feel like going to the grocery store after work and then coming home to make dinner. My Mom usually made this with canned biscuits (which you can too if you like.) But these days I like to make it with Bisquick to keep the dumplings nice and fluffy. This is a really versatile recipe so go with whatever you like and what is easiest for you.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
chicken stock or broth
milk (or half & half)
chicken gravy mix (see note below)
frozen peas and carrots
salt and pepper
dried parsley (optional)
Note: For a creamier chicken and dumplings, use a can of cream of chicken soup instead of the chicken gravy packet. All the other ingredient measurements remain the same.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS:
Place a large pot on stove over medium high heat, add chicken broth, diced onion and diced chicken tenders. Cook until onions turn soft and chicken is cooked. Season mixture with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, whisk together gravy mix (or cream of chicken soup) and milk. Pour into pot.
Stir and bring up to a boil (to thicken slightly.) Add frozen peas and carrots.
In a medium bowl, combine Bisquick with warm water. Stir until combined.
Drop tablespoonfuls of prepared mix into the pot, spacing dumplings as evenly as you can.
Cover pot tightly and reduce heat to medium low. Steam dumplings 8-10 minutes.
Remove from heat and serve.
Sprinkle with parsley (optional)
Cook’s Notes: Chicken and Dumplings don’t always make the best leftovers. The dumplings will continue to absorb the liquid so when you make this, be sure you’re going to eat it all the same day. Also, if you’d like, you can use some rotisserie chicken in this which gives it a wonderful flavor or if you have leftovers from a roasted chicken.
Originally published: October 2011
Updated and republished: February 2019
EASY CHICKEN AND DROP DUMPLINGS
- 1 pound chicken tenders, diced
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 1 (32 oz) container chicken stock
- 1 cup milk, or half & half
- 1 packet chicken gravy mix (or cream of chicken soup)
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 2/3 cups warm water
- Place a large pot on stove over medium high heat, add chicken broth, diced onion and diced chicken tenders.
- Cook until onions turn soft and chicken is cooked.
- Season mixture with salt and pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together gravy mix and milk.
- Pour into pot.
- Stir and bring up to a boil (to thicken slightly).
- Add frozen peas and carrots.
- In a medium bowl, combine Bisquick with warm water.
- Stir until combined.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of prepared mix into the pot, spacing dumplings as evenly as you can.
- Cover pot tightly and reduce heat to medium low.
- Steam dumplings 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.