The Best Calico Baked Beans are made with a variety of beans along with ground beef cooked in a delicious sauce. Perfect for a crowd!
A FUN TWIST ON BAKED BEANS
I learned how to make this recipe for calico beans while living in Texas. It's a hearty and filling baked bean recipe that is really a whole meal. Just serve with some cornbread! I'm pretty sure I missed my calling as a ranch cook. There's nothing I love more than to feed hardworking folks.
WHY ARE THEY CALLED CALICO BEANS?
- They are called calico baked beans because of the variety of colors. For the same reason why we called multi-color cats - Calico Cats.
- You can use any variety of beans you have on hand. If you prefer kidney beans, black beans, lava beans or even chickpeas - you can use them here. The only beans I wouldn't skip on are the cans of baked beans in sauce. They really kick up the flavors to this beans.
- Also, you can use dried beans but you're going to need to soak them overnight before making this recipe.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- ground beef
- baked beans in sauce
- pinto beans
- northern beans
- brown sugar (light or dark)
- white vinegar
- salt & pepper
- dry mustard powder
HOW TO MAKE CALICO BAKED BEANS:
If you haven't done so already, rinse your pinto and northern beans using a colander. You can use dried beans for this. Just make sure you soak them overnight before using.
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Begin browning your ground beef in a medium pan over medium heat. Add in diced onion and garlic. Cook beef until brown and crumbled and onion is translucent.
Drain excess fat from cooked ground beef. In a large bowl, combine ground beef mixture, cans of baked beans, rinsed pinto and northern beans, crumbled bacon, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and dry mustard. Stir well.
Pour bean mixture into a 9x13 baking dish.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 45 minutes. Then remove foil and bake for additional 10 minutes. And serve!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
Calico Baked Beans (+Video)
- ½-1 pound ground beef (depending on how meaty you want it)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ pound bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
- 3 (16 ounce) cans baked beans in sauce do not drain
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can northern beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar light or dark
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Begin browning ground beef in a medium pan over medium heat.
- Add in diced onion and garlic. Cook beef until brown and crumbled and onion is translucent. Drain excess fat from cooked ground beef.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef mixture, cans of baked beans, rinsed pinto and northern beans, crumbled bacon, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and dry mustard.
- Stir well. Then pour mixture into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Then remove foil and bake for additional 5-10 minutes.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Originally published: July 2012
Updated & republished: June 2020