Hummingbird Cake Bars are a classic southern cake recipe made into an easy bar form. The cinnamon cream cheese frosting takes it over the top!
HUMMINGBIRD CAKE BARS
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
for the bars:
light brown sugar
for the cinnamon cream cheese frosting:
HOW TO MAKE HUMMINGBIRD CAKE BARS:
HOMEMADE HUMMINGBIRD CAKE BARS
For the bars:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks) softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 8 oz can crushed pineapple drained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
For the cinnamon cream cheese frosting:
- 1/2 block cream cheese (4 oz.) softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick) softened
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
TO MAKE THE BARS:
- Preheat the oven to 350f degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla, and mix well.
- Mix in the bananas and pineapple
- Reduce the mixer speed to low.
- Gradually add the flour mixture, mixing just until combined.
- Stir in the pecans.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool completely.
TO MAKE THE CINNAMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese, butter, cinnamon and vanilla until thoroughly combined.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the top of the cooled bars. Sprinkle the top with pecans.
- Cut into 24 bars and serve.