Cheddar and Chive Drop Biscuits require just a handful of ingredients and no biscuit cutter is needed! Soft, fluffy, cheesy biscuits.
EASY, FLAVORFUL DROP BISCUITS
Drop biscuits are one of the simplest forms of biscuits to make. You don't have to roll out dough or even use a biscuit cutter. You just whip it up and scoop it out. And the White Lily Flour really does all the work. White Lily is made with a soft winter wheat and that is the key to its uniqueness. If you can find it near you - buy it!
TIPS FOR MAKING DROP BISCUITS:
- The main tip when working with baking powder or baking soda is to make sure it is fresh. Take a look at the expiration date on your containers. If it's been opened for more than 6 months, it may no longer be fresh as well.
- When measuring flour – don’t pack it into the measuring cup. Dip the measuring cup into the flour and shake. Then, with the flat end of a knife, scoop off excess. This will help ensure that you aren’t packing in too much flour.
- The fat in the buttermilk is what ensures these biscuits are not dry. Try to find and use REAL buttermilk in this recipe.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- White Lily® All Purpose Wheat Flour (or regular all-purpose flour) baking powder
- cold butter
- extra sharp cheddar cheese
- fresh chives
- real buttermilk
HOW TO MAKE CHEDDAR DROP BISCUITS:
Heat oven to 450f degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or cover with parchment paper. Cut up your cold butter into cubes.
Using a fork, stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl until blended. Cut in butter with a pastry blender, fork or your fingers.
I prefer to use my fingers. Just squish the butter and flour together until you have small pellets of butter incorporated into the flour.
Don't mess with it too much because you don't want the butter melted from the warmth of your fingers.
Stir in cheese and chives.
The easiest way to chop chives is to use scissors (clean scissors!) Gets it done fast!
Stir in buttermilk until dough comes together.
Add 2-3 tablespoons additional buttermilk if dough seems too dry.
Drop dough by scant ¼ cup onto baking sheet. I like to use these spring loaded scoopers.
They just make the job go so much quicker and it helps you to measure the same amount every time. One of my favorite kitchen utensils!
Keep going with the rest of the biscuits. This batter will make about 15 biscuits.
Bake 10-13 minutes or until golden brown.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
CHEDDAR AND CHIVE DROP BISCUITS
- 2 cups White Lily® All Purpose Flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold butter cut into small cubes
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh chives
- ¾ cup real buttermilk
- Heat oven to 450f degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray or cover with parchment paper.
- Using a fork, stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl until blended.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender, fork or your fingers.
- Stir in cheese and chives.
- Stir in buttermilk until dough comes together.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons additional buttermilk if dough seems too dry.
- Drop dough by scant ¼ cup onto baking sheet.
- Keep going with the rest of the biscuits.
- Bake 10-13 minutes or until golden brown.