Chocolate and Creamy Coconut
Cake like a candy bar!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix chocolate fudge or devil's food work best
- ingredients needed to make cake; eggs, oil and water
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 7 oz bag sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 12 oz bag chocolate chips milk or semi-sweet
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 2 oz bag sliced or slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup milk 2% or higher
- Bake cake according to directions on the back of the box (using a 9 x 13 baking pan).
- While the cake is still warm, gently poke holes in the cake using a fork.
- In a bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk and sweetened coconut flakes.
- Pour this mixture over the warm cake.
- Some of the condensed milk should seep a bit into those holes.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter along with chocolate chips and milk.
Stir until smooth and completely melted. Do not let this mixture come to a boil.
- Take chocolate mixture off of heat and pour on top of cake.
- Use the back of a spoon to help spread it out evenly.
- Then top with sliced almonds.
To make this a bit easier to cut into, you can pop the cake in the fridge for about an hour or so to let the chocolate cool and set up a bit. Some folks may like this with toasted nuts on top. I prefer the raw almonds but feel free to toast them if that is your preference.