Take the pan out of the oven after it has risen and then preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Bake at 350F for about 25 minutes, or until tops are golden. Brush hot rolls with additional melted butter.
- ½ cup solid vegetable shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 pkg fast acting yeast
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick (8 tbsp.) butter, melted (plus more for brushing baked rolls with)
- 1½ cups very warm water
- Place sugar, salt, 2 cups of flour, and yeast in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening with a long tined fork.
- Add eggs, beating lightly with fork before stirring them in.
- Add remaining flour, melted butter, and water.
- Stir together well.
- Mixture will look like a big old lumpy blob.
- Cover with a dish towel and let sit in a warm place for twenty minutes.
- After twenty minutes, turn out onto a floured surface.
- Sprinkle flour over the top and knead three or four times.
- Pat out into a square that is about ¾ inch thick.
- Cut into squares with a pizza cutter.
- Place in greased 9×13 pan and cover with towel.
- Let rise another twenty minutes.
- Once again, like the first rising, I pop it back in the oven to rise.
- Take the pan out of the oven after it has risen and then preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes, or until tops are golden.
Brush hot rolls with additional melted butter.