Grandma Betty’s Cranberry Oatmeal Bars have a layer of delicious cranberry sauce sandwiched in between layers of sweetened oatmeal!
GRANDMA’S EASY CRANBERRY OATMEAL BARS
I am sharing another Grandma Betty recipe today! Thank you so much for all of the positive feedback to all of my shares of her recipes that I am recreating from her old handwritten recipe book.
My Grandma loved easy recipes – just like me! So many of the dessert recipes in her cookbook are fairly simple. There are a few homemade cake recipes too. But you can tell, as the years went on, her cookbook was filled with recipes that used more store-bought items.
My Grandma Betty had 9 children and a ridiculous amount of grandchildren – I’m the oldest granddaughter. So, I love that she took advantage of convenience items as she got older. I feel like her cookbook, in some way, tells a story. With all of the cocoa powder stains on it and the evolution of the recipes. It’s a story all her own told through food.
PERFECT FOR THE HOLIDAYS
They are perfect for the holidays! They bake up and slice up beautifully that they make perfect gifts or to share at holiday cookie exchanges.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- light brown sugar
- old-fashioned oatmeal (not quick cooking)
- butter shortening
- whole cranberry sauce
Cook’s Notes: You want to purchase whole cranberry sauce. Not jellied sauce.
HOW TO MAKE CRANBERRY OATMEAL BARS:
Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking soda, brown sugar and oatmeal.
Slowly add shortening and mix well.
Press half of the oatmeal mixture into prepared baking dish.
Spread cranberry sauce over oatmeal mixture.
Cover with remaining oatmeal mixture. Bake for about 50-60 minutes.
Allow to cool completely. Then slice and serve.
Note: I know some folks are gonna question that shortening as an ingredient. I have only made these bars using this exact recipe. Feel free to make substitutions but I can only speak for this original recipe from Grandma.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Cranberry Oatmeal Bars
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking soda, brown sugar and oatmeal.
- Slowly add shortening and mix well.
- Press half of the oatmeal mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Spread cranberry sauce over oatmeal mixture.
- Cover with remaining oatmeal mixture. Bake for about 50-60 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Then slice and serve.
- Cook’s Notes: You want to purchase whole cranberry sauce. Not jellied sauce.
- I’ve only made this recipe using my Grandma’s original recipe. Any other variations you may want to try (i.e. using butter instead of shortening) will be an experiment on your part and I cannot guarantee they will turn out the same.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.