Easy Layered Taco Bake (+Video)
This layered Taco Bake is a simple and quick weeknight meal with layers of tortillas, ground beef and salsa con queso!
A SIMPLE TACO-INSPIRED DINNER
One food item I always seem to have in my pantry or in my fridge are flour tortillas. They are good for so many things. Tortillas can be made into so many different types of snacks for kids (and grownups). You can cut them up and fry them or bake them. You can make cinnamon chips, quesadillas, tortilla pizzas. The possibilities are endless and easy on the wallet too.
TIPS FOR MAKING LAYERED TACO BAKE:
- Flour tortillas work best in this but if you absolutely must have corn tortillas, then you can certainly switch it out.
- Ground turkey and chicken can be substituted for the ground beef.
- Try making your own Taco Seasoning for this recipe!
- If you like this recipe, you should give these Navajo Tacos a try!
- A springform pan makes this easy to remove but an 8-inch round baking pan will work as well.
- This meal is delicious served with Spanish style rice
- If you are very sensitive to spices, you can certainly use a regular cheese dip instead of the salsa con queso.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- ground beef
- taco seasoning
- flour tortillas (8-inch size)
- salsa con queso
- shredded Mexican cheese blend
HOW TO MAKE TACO BAKE:
Brown and crumble ground beef. Drain excess grease.
Stir in taco seasoning and water (following directions on back of seasoning packet.) Once the taco meat is ready, turn off heat and add in 1/2 cup salsa con queso. Give it a good stir, until thoroughly combined.
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray an 8-inch round baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Layer the bottom of the pan with a flour tortilla.
I like to use a springform pan just to make it a bit easier to get out after it is finished baking. But this taco bake is pretty easy to slice up and serve even without the springform pan. Now add about 1/3 of the ground beef taco filling on the the first layer.
Then add 1/3 of the shredded cheese.
Continue until you are done with all the layers: another tortilla, more taco mixture, more cheese.
Bake at 350F degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Until cheese is melted and edges are slightly golden brown.
Allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Then slice and serve. I like mine with some sour cream and diced tomatoes on top.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Originally published: August 2013
Updated and republished: January 2022
Easy Layered Taco Bake (+Video)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- water as called for on back of seasoning packet (usually 3/4 cup water)
- 1/2 cup salsa con queso
- 3 (8-inch) flour tortillas (soft taco size)
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (divided use)
- Brown and crumble 1 pound ground beef. Drain excess grease.
- Add in 1 packet taco seasoning and water as called for on back of seasoning packet (usually 3/4 cup) following directions on back of seasoning packet.
- Once the taco meat is ready, turn off heat and add in 1/2 cup salsa con queso. Give it a good stir until thoroughly combined.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray an 8-inch round baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Layer the bottom of the pan with one of the 3 (8-inch) flour tortillas.
- Now add about 1/3 of the ground beef taco filling on the the first layer.
- Then add 1/3 of the 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend.
- Continue until you are done with all the layers: another tortilla, more taco mixture, more cheese.
- Bake at 350F degrees for about 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and edges are slightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Slice and serve. Top with desired toppings.
- Serve with sour cream and diced tomatoes on top, if desired.
- Use as little or as much cheese as you like.
- If the salsa con queso is too spicy for you, just use a regular cheese dip.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Made this tonight for some girls that came over and it was flavorful and delicious!
Disclaimer: I live in Mexico and didn’t even try looking for the salsa con queso. Instead I replaced it with sour cream with some salsa casera mixed in. I put it in a larger rectangular baking dish, cutting tortillas to make them fit. I added canned sweet corn to the meat and next time would like to try replacing some of the meat with black beans. The girls enjoyed being introduced to the flavor of American/Tex-Mex tacos. Thank you for sharing the recipe!!
Delicious! Adding the queso to the meat really binds everything together. This will stay in rotation at my house.
Made this for dinner!! My daughter and I loved it!! This will replace my old recipe!!
This was so simple and amazing!! I added a thin layer of refried beans in each tortilla before added the ground beef. I will definitely be making this again! Thanks for the recipe
This makes me so happy Kay!! Thank you so very much!
Made this tonight. Really easy and fast recipe and it was so good. My husband loved it! He said it was a keeper!!!
Absolutely amazing. Definitely making this again.
Made this for dinner tonight. What a delish, easy, and satisfying meal. I too added refried beans. I topped it with shredded luttuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced olives, and sour cream, and a spoonful of salsa. Recipe is a keeper for sure!
Love your additions! Sounds amazing!! Thank you Colleen!
Have made this several times.
Now I do add 1 can of the mild RoTel; well drained to the meat mixture. If you like it hotter; use the hot RoTel.
I have several springform pans so will make a couple extra to store in the freezer.
Such a Great recipe
Delicious and easy to make. Will be making again real soon.
This recipe is awesome. I also add refried beans to the first layer, before the ground beef/taco mixture. After fixed, I like to dump Lettuce, Tomato, onion and sour cream on top. So good. If you haven’t tried this recipe, give it a try. It’s so simple and is so good. You’ll be making it over and over. I don’t fix a side with it. Good and filling alone.
Made this along with your Spanish rice – absolutely delicious!
We love this recipe!!! I like to add a layer of refried beans and pico de galo into the taco meat mmmm mmmm mmmm!! Thank you for sharing this recipe!
Yay!! That’s awesome! Thanks so much Melissa!
This. Is. Amazing!!!!! The taste. Delicious. My pickiest eater absolutely loved it!!! I have a Pinterest folder for favorites. I’m adding this now! Wouldn’t change a thing except double for my family of six.
Woo hoo!! Thank you so much for taking the time to come back and let me know. It means so much!
Very, very good and so easy to make. Only you need more than 1 for 4 people!
So happy you enjoyed it!!
I was pretty sure that I knew exactly how to make it and your web series on country cooks it just reenter rated with that already knew thank you for your time
Easy to make, absolutely delicious, a great change up to typical tacos. Thanks!!!
I made this but I added refried beans and taco sauce in the layers It was really good served with cilantro lime rice.
I made this the beginning of this month and add refried beans to it and it was yummy.
AWESOME!!! I made this with 10 inch instead more ground beef and it came out AWESOME! I topped with sour cream and diced tomatoes and it was delicious! Will make again very soon!
I’ve made this a few times and passed the recipe along to my mom. Super easy, very easy to double and also freeze. Delicious! I don’t change anything. Different jars of salsa con queso will give it either a spicer or mild flavor.
This is like the third or fourth time I’ve made this and it’s a hit each and every time! Not only that, it’s quick, no fuss, and not really expensive or time consuming to make which is definitely a plus for me. Thanks!
Hi Shay! Yay! Thank you SO much for coming back to leave a comment. So thrilled you love it!
Top favorite in my household even tho it’s just me and hubby and I do make this quite often. I usually make up 2 right away; one to eat and one to stick into the freezer for later time. I have even made this using a 9×13 glass pyrex pan; just square the tortilla shells to make them fit better in pan. and increase the ingredients
I actually made this today and it was good..
My kids love when I make this!! We have made it several times and it has been a winner every time. We serve it with sour cream and salsa. We double the recipe for our family of six and there are no leftovers. Thanks for another great recipe!
Wow – this was outstanding!!