Classic Southern Banana Pudding
Southern Banana Pudding – or is it? I ask the question “Or is it?”, because this next recipe, well, I guess it isn’t truly Southern. It is and it isn’t. The Nanner Pudding part – totally Southern. The whipped cream part? Not so much. Traditional Southern Banana Pudding has a meringue topping. Now, don’t get me wrong. I love some meringue topping. It’s just that my family loves the whipped cream topping just a bit more. And that’s what’s great about baking and being a grown-up. You can make food however you like it and no one can tell you otherwise!
3 tbsp. salted butter
2 tsp. banana extract (or 1 tsp. vanilla extract)
4-5 bananas, peeled and sliced
Half a box of vanilla wafers, about 50
For the whipped topping:
Southern Banana Pudding
- 2 cups milk 2% or higher
- ⅔ cups sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp banana extract or 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp salted butter
- 4-5 bananas peeled & sliced
- half a box of vanilla wafers About 50
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the milk, sugar, cornstarch, egg, and egg yolk.
- Once well-combined, place the pan over medium-heat.
- Whisk often to prevent lumps from forming.
Making this custard takes a bit of patience. You are stirring and stirring and then all of a sudden, blamm-o, it starts getting thick on ya. So that's why you gotta stick with it while you're making it.
- Cook until thick and bubbly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the butter and banana extract (or vanilla extract) and whisk until completely melted.
- In the baking dish, place a layer of bananas, then top that with a layer of vanilla wafers.
- Pour 1/2 of the custard over the wafers and spread to the edges.
- Repeat this process once more.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least four hours.
- For the whipped topping:
- Whip the heavy cream with the vanilla and the powdered sugar until it reaches soft peaks. Spread the whipped cream over the chilled pudding. Top with crushed vanilla wafer cookies.