Pumpkin Pie Coffee Cake with a delicious crumble topping is the perfect homemade sweet treat to have with your morning coffee or for dessert!
A DELICIOUSLY MOIST HOMEMADE PUMPKIN CAKE
This time of year just makes me want to get into the kitchen and bake. The weather has cooled off so we don't mind having the oven on more since it heats up the house just a bit. And I just love those spice smells that come out of my kitchen when I'm making treats like this one. Sundays are always good baking days for me. It is the one day everyone is off work, off school and we have the whole day to just be together.
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PURE PUMPKIN PUREE AND PUMPKIN PIE MIX?
Let me take a minute to talk about canned pumpkin. When you see a recipe that requires canned pumpkin, pure pumpkin, or pumpkin puree, this is what we're talking about right here (see image below.) It is just straight-up pumpkin, nothing else added. It will usually say 100% pure pumpkin on the label. You can make your own or buy it canned like this. Don't mistake this with canned pumpkin pie mix. Canned pumpkin pie mix has pumpkin puree plus evaporated milk and pumpkin pie spices mixed in with it. That one will mess up your recipe.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- pure pumpkin puree
- vegetable oil
- vanilla extract
- baking powder
- pumpkin pie spice
- all-purpose flour
- brown sugar
- chopped pecans
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN PIE COFFEE CAKE:
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray an 8x8" pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin, oil, vanilla and milk until smooth. If using a stand mixer, remember to scrape the sides occasionally so it all gets incorporated.
Then stir in sugar, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Mix until combined.
Finally, gently stir in flour. Mix just until combined. Don't over mix. Batter will be a little lumpy.
Pour batter into baking dish. Now, to make the streusel topping. In a small bowl, combine the melted butter with the brown sugar, cinnamon and flour. Then stir in chopped pecans.
Sprinkle topping evenly all over coffee cake batter.
Bake for about 35-40 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean). It took closer to the 40-minute mark in my oven. But as with most baked goods, times do vary in different ovens, so just start keeping an eye on it around the 30-minute mark.
Slice up and serve.
Note: Using an 8x8 baking dish does make for a pretty thick coffee cake. If you want thinner pieces of cake, use a larger baking dish and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Pumpkin Pie Coffee Cake (+Video)
For the cake:
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
For the streusel topping:
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ Tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped pecans
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray an 8"x 8" pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin, oil, vanilla and milk until smooth.
- Then stir in sugar, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Mix until combined.
- Finally, gently stir in flour. Mix just until combined. Don't over mix. Batter will be thick and a little lumpy. Pour batter into baking dish and spread out evenly.
For the streusel topping:
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter with the brown sugar, cinnamon and flour.
- Then stir in chopped pecans.
- Sprinkle topping evenly all over coffee cake batter.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean). Allow to cool slightly then slice up and serve.
- Using an 8 x 8-inch baking dish does make for a pretty thick coffee cake. If you want thinner pieces of cake, use a larger baking dish and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.