Momma’s Best Meatloaf – seriously!
I think most folks at some point in their lives have had either great experiences with meatloaf or really bad ones. Maybe the meatloaf was a tad dry or maybe it tasted like a lump of beef and nothing else. And if that bad experience came from childhood, and Mom was trying to feed 9 or 10 children, as was a common situation many years ago, she didn’t have the time (or probably the energy) to be fancy-ing it up. It’s cheap it’s a hot meal on the table.
Meatloaf really can taste good
Meatloaf is fairly inexpensive, easy, filling and can feed a lot of folks. And perhaps the name does not help it’s case at all, but let’s face it, when a meatloaf is done right, it is so comforting to the soul. Personally, I’m a meatloaf lover. But if you aren’t, then maybe it’s time you give it a second chance. Because meatloaves need love to, even if they aren’t the prettiest girl showing up to the party.
1 pound ground beef (80/20 works good)
3/4 cup milk
3 slices of bread, torn up into small pieces
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
½ tablespoon onion powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dry ground mustard
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon hot sauce (or slightly more, to taste)
⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
½ cup ketchup
Heat oven to 350F degrees. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (except ketchup.) Don’t be afraid to get in there with your hands – they work best.
Spread mixture into an ungreased loaf pan or shape into a loaf on a sheet pan.
Spread ketchup on top of meatloaf.
Cook for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes (or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees). Let stand for 5 minutes and serve.
Cook’s Note: This can be made in a loaf pan (with the same cooking time.) Cooking it on a sheet pan will help some of the fat spread away from the meat if you are looking to make this a slightly leaner dish.
Momma's *BEST* Meatloaf
1 hrs 15 mins
1 hrs 25 mins
Course: Main Course
Calories: 450 kcal
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3 slices of bread torn up into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tablespoon onion powder or 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dry ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup ketchup
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (except ketchup).
- Spread mixture into an ungreased loaf pan or shape into a loaf on a sheet pan.
- Spread ketchup on top of meatloaf.
- Cook for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes (or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees).
- Let stand for 5 minutes and serve
This can be made in a loaf pan with the same cooking time.
Momma's *BEST* Meatloaf
Amount Per Serving
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.