Grilled Steak and Potato Packets (also called Hobo Packets) are stuffed full of meat and potatoes with tons of flavor and easy cleanup!
STEAK AND POTATO PACKETS
CAN YOU USE OTHER MEATS FOR HOBO PACKETS?
Absolutely! Chicken would work great as well as lean ground beef or even lean pork. I say lean meat because you don't want the meat to produce too much grease while cooking.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
HOW TO MAKE STEAK AND POTATO PACKETS:
WANT MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS? GIVE THESE A TRY!
THE BEST STEAK MARINADE WITH STEAKHOUSE GARLIC HERB BUTTER
CAMPFIRE HOT DOGS & POTATO PACKETS
CHICKEN & POTATO FOIL PACKS
CREAMY GARLIC POTATO PACKETS
BBQ PORK POTATO FOIL PACKETS
STEAK BITE FAJITA BOWLS
GRILLED STEAK AND POTATO PACKETS
- 2-3 pounds steaks, cubed (ribeye or flat iron steaks)
- olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced or sliced
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 tbsp salted butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- steak seasoning, optional
- Tear off 4 large square sheets of aluminum foil.
- Drizzle all 4 foil aluminum square pieces with olive oil.
- Put 1 tbsp .of butter on each foil sheet.
- Dice potatoes into cubes (about 1-inch). Leaving the skin on.
- Divide up the cubed potatoes and place on top of the butter on each aluminum foil square.
- Evenly sprinkle minced garlic and diced onion over each of the four servings.
- Then sprinkle with kosher salt & pepper.
- Drizzle with a bit more olive oil.
- Put steak pieces on top of potatoes.
- Season with a bit more salt & pepper or your favorite steak seasoning.
- Drizzle with a bit more olive oil and put another pat of butter on top.
- Also, another good tip to keep your meat from getting dried while cooking is to add a large ice cube on top of the meat.
- Fold up each of the sides to make a nice little bed for the potatoes, making a square.
- So none of the butter and oil can escape while cooking.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill packets for about 35-45 minutes.
- Check periodically for doneness.
Originally published: July 2011
Updated & Republished: May 2019