Lasagna Soup is easily made with ground beef, onion, garlic, Italian seasonings, tomato sauce, pasta and served with mozzarella cheese!
A DELICIOUSLY COMFORTING SOUP RECIPE
What is more comforting than a pasta-type soup? This is a fun little twist on lasagna. And like many other soups, you can add in whatever flavors you enjoy. Mushrooms or even ricotta cheese can be added. Make it your own. But it is seriously delicious. And seriously comforting.
TIPS FOR MAKING LASAGNA SOUP:
- There is a type of pasta called ‘Mafalda’ pasta. It is shaped like little lasagna noodles. They would be perfect in this.
- This can be made meatless.
- Try switching up the ground beef or with ground Italian sausage. Make it to your family’s tastes!
- Try serving with a dollop of ricotta cheese. It adds depth of flavor and texture!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- ground beef (or ground Italian sausage)
- green pepper
- ground thyme
- Italian seasoning
- brown sugar
- chicken broth
- petite diced tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- lasagna noodles
- parmesan cheese
- mozzarella cheese or ricotta cheese (for serving)
HOW TO MAKE LASAGNA SOUP:
In a large pot, brown and crumble ground beef along with the onion and bell pepper. Add in garlic during the last couple of minutes of cooking so it doesn’t burn.
Drain excess grease from the ground beef mixture. Put ground beef back into the pot. Stir in thyme, Italian seasoning, salt, brown sugar, chicken broth, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir well and bring up to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover and gently simmer for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, add in lasagna noodles. Stir.
Simmer until noodles are tender (about 10 or so minutes.) Then stir in parmesan cheese.
Ladle soup into bowls. Then top each bowl with a little shredded mozzarella cheese or a dollop of ricotta cheese and serve!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Lasagna Soup (+Video)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 32 ounce carton chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 cups broken lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- shredded mozzarella cheese or a dollop of ricotta cheese for topping, optional
- In a large pot, brown and crumble 1 pound ground beef along with 1 small onion, diced and 1 green bell pepper, diced.
- Add in 3 cloves garlic, minced during the last couple of minutes of cooking so it doesn't burn and stir.
- Drain excess grease from the ground beef mixture. Put ground beef back into the pot.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon ground thyme, 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 32 ounce carton chicken broth, 2 (14.5 ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes, and 15 ounce can tomato sauce. Stir well and bring mixture up to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and gently simmer for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add in 2 cups broken lasagna noodles Stir. Simmer until noodles are tender (about 10 or so minutes). Stir occasionally.
- Finally, stir in 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Then top each bowl with shredded mozzarella cheese or a dollop of ricotta cheese.
- You’ll need about 6 whole lasagna noodles to make about 2 cups broken.
- We like to serve this with a side salad and some garlic bread.
- If you can find Mafalda (or Mafaldine) noodles – they look like little lasagna noodles and work perfect in this. They aren’t easy to find but look really nice in this dish!
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Originally published: September 2012
Updated & republished: January 2019