Homemade Tater Tots
It was like all my childhood dreams coming true except I was a grown up and no one looked at me sideways because I was ordering tater tots. These were truly exceptional. They make them in-house and fry them in duck fat. Yes. Duck fat. They are served with a few dipping options. My personal fave was the chipotle mayo dipping sauce. Oh. My. Stars. I just cannot tell you how something so simple was turned into something so amazing.
vegetable or peanut oil, for frying
Once they come out of the microwave, remove the plastic wrap (careful! hot steam!) And using a food processor (on the chop setting), begin chopping up the potatoes (chopping only a few at a time.)
I just have a small food processor so I had to do about 5 batches of these. You want the potatoes to be chopped in small pieces. We’re not making mashed potatoes here.
Next, stir in one to two packets of the reserved seasoning (the amount is up to you depending on your tastes.)
Combine mayo, sour cream and chipotles into a food processor or blender (I just rinsed out my mini food processor after I made the tater tots and re-used it.) Puree the mixture for about 30 seconds until fully combined.
Gently place about 6 tater tots at a time into the oil. If you put too many in, they won’t cook evenly and may stick together. When frying, you have to stay close by and monitor the tots. They will need only about a minute or two of frying time.
More Little Potato recipes below!
Homemade Tater TotsPrint Pin Rate
- 2 1 lb packages Little Potato Company Microwave Readypotatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions finely sliced
- vegetable or peanut oil for frying
- Remove cardboard packaging and seasoning packets from packages of Microwave Ready Little Potatoes (save the seasoning packets for later.)
- Microwave each package of Little Potatoes (one at a time) for three minutes each.
- Note: We're not following the package directions for cook time.
- We don't want them fully cooked - just soft enough to chop.
- Once they come out of the microwave, remove the plastic wrap (careful! hot steam!)
- And using a food processor (on the chop setting), begin chopping up the potatoes (chopping only a few at a time.
- Put the chopped Little Potatoes into a large bowl.
- Next, stir in one to two packets of the reserved seasoning (the amount is up to you depending on your tastes.)
- Then stir in sliced green onion and shredded cheddar cheese. Mix well.
- Prepare a baking sheet by covering it with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Next, start scooping up the tater tot mixture (about a tablespoon of the mixture for each one.)
- Roll the mixture in your hands to get that classic, tube-shaped tater tot.
- Place them on the baking sheet as you go.
- Next, it's time to flash-freeze.
- Pop the tray into the freezer for about an hour (until very firm to the touch.)
- There are two benefits to this: it will help them stay together when frying or you can store them into a freezer-safe ziploc bag once they've been flash-frozen to make for later!
- Once you are ready to start making the tots, preheat oil in a fryer or large pot to 350f degrees.
- It's best to use a candy thermometer to get an accurate temperature.
- But if you don't have one, you can usually tell the oil is ready when you place a wooden spoon or spatula into the oil and you start to see it bubble up around the wood.
- Gently place about 6 tater tots at a time into the oil.
- Fry tots for about a minute to two minutes until they are a light golden brown color.
- Using a strainer, scoop them out of the oil and place them onto some paper towels to drain and then season lightly with salt.
- Continue until they are all cooked.
- Serve while warm with chipotle mayo (or ketchup!)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 chipotle chiles from can of chipotles adobo sauce
- lime juice from half a lime optional
- Combine mayo, sour cream and chipotles into a food processor or blender (I just rinsed out my mini food processor after I made the tater tots and re-used it.)
- Puree the mixture for about 30 seconds until fully combined.
- Squeeze a bit of lime juice in and pulse the mixture again.