Frito Taco Salad (+Video)
This veggie-filled Frito Taco Salad is so incredibly good and filling. Lettuce, tomato, beans, cheese, Fritos and a delicious dressing!
A UNIQUE TWIST TO TACO SALAD
This Frito Taco Salad is so filling and delicious that you won’t even miss the meat! Of course you could add Taco Meat to this recipe if you like. I love the crunch the corn chips add but it is totally optional. Use whatever you love! Tortilla strips would also be wonderful in this. This is an easy recipe to tailor to your tastes. Don’t skip the dressing though!
TIPS FOR MAKING FRITO TACO SALAD:
- One can of canned corn can be used. Just drain really well.
- You can use any variety of beans in this and you can use more than one. Some options are canned pinto beans, black beans and even kidney beans
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- fresh corn
- Romaine lettuce hearts
- pinto or black beans
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sliced cherry tomatoes
- sliced olives
- Fritos corn chips
- Catalina (or French) dressing
HOW TO MAKE FRITO TACO SALAD:
First, cook your corn. This is so easy to do in the microwave. Arrange both ears of corn, un-shucked, in the microwave. If you prefer, you can set them on a microwaveable plate or tray. Cook for 5 minutes. Allow to cool. Set the ears on a cooling rack or cutting board to cool. When the silks and top leaves are cool enough to handle, quickly shuck the husks off the cobs. Then cut the corn off the cob.
In a large salad bowl, add chopped lettuce, beans, tomato, cheese, olives and corn. When ready to serve, add corn chips and dressing to salad.
Serve with optional toppings: sour cream, guacamole and pico de gallo.
I love ALL the toppings!
Toss to coat.
Then dig in!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
Frito Taco Salad (+Video)
- 2 ears fresh corn (kernels cut off)
- 2 Romaine lettuce hearts, chopped
- 16 ounce can black beans (or pinto beans)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1 can sliced olives, drained well
- 2 cups Fritos corn chips
- 1 cup catalina dressing, or French dressing
- sour cream
- pico de gallo
- First, cook the corn. This is so easy to do in the microwave. Arrange both ears of corn, un-shucked, in the microwave. If you prefer, you can set them on a microwaveable plate or tray. Cook for 5 minutes. Allow to cool. Set the ears on a cooling rack or cutting board to cool. When the silks and top leaves are cool enough to handle, quickly shuck the husks off the cobs. Then cut the corn off the cob.
- In a large salad bowl, add chopped lettuce, beans, tomato, cheese, corn and olives. Stir.
- When ready to serve, add corn chips and dressing to salad and toss.
- Serve with optional toppings: sour cream, guacamole and pico de gallo.
- canned corn can be used instead of fresh
- Feel free to add cooked ground beef or shredded chicken to this salad.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
COULD I COOK THE EARS OF CORN. I HAVE ONLY FROZEN EARS OF CORN.
Hi Pamela! yes of course!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REPLY BACK
YES MY FAMILY TRY IT AND THEY LOVE THIS RECIPES. WE LOVE YOUR RECIPES BRANDI THE COUNTRY COOK.
You’re so sweet!! I truly appreciate it!
My kids loved it.
I know I am half blind and elderly, but I read the directions twice and did not see a step in which the corn was added. Otherwise, it certainly looks like a fun salad, I will make this for my fellow election judges at our runoff later this months.
This is so delicious. Everyone in my family loves it!
Yay! Love hearing that!!
Do u cook the beans
No need to cook them. They are perfect right out of the can. 🙂
Can I thaw 1 cup of frozen corn or a can of whole kernel corn?
You sure could! 🙂
My husband’s Aunt gave me this recipe years ago and I have made this recipe several times for my family. But I have never put corn in the salad. I will try it with the corn next time.
I also chop green onions and add to the salad green tops and all. They really add a lot of flavor!
What a grrrrr8 way to eat a healthy salad!!! Since there are two of us, I cut the recipe in half and experienced a delicious meal.
Could you use canned corn when fresh is out of season?
Hi Peggy! Of course! Save yourself some time! 🙂
Another great idea is to blanch some extra corn, while in season, and then freeze for future use.
I made this without the beans as they make me deathly ill and substituted bacon,
It was really good!!!
I love anything taco salad wise, but like to use a combination of salsa and ranch dressing
With some sour cream added for the dressing.
I make up a jar of it and store in the fridge for a week or so and then it’s always ready!
This looks so good! =) Pinning to save and try soon!
Hope you love it Melissa!!
Excellent meal! Even better without the meat!
Okay – stupid question here…. do you cook the corn? Can you eat raw corn? It’s never occurred to me…..
Not a stupid question Annie! Yep, you need to cook it. In my instructions, I explain how to do it in the microwave. So simple!
Not a stupid question at all – I was wondering the same thing!
This recipe looks so delicious! Can’t wait to try it!
Made this with Drew’s creamy chipotle dressing and homemade tortilla strips. Perfect for a hot summer dinner when you don’t want to get anywhere near a stove.