Crock Pot Sloppy Joe Casserole is an easy casserole to make! Layers of cheesy hash browns, ground beef and sloppy joe filling make it a meal!
A WHOLE MEAL MADE IN THE SLOW COOKER!
This Crock Pot Sloppy Joe Casserole is a whole meal in one. It’s a very simple recipe but it is a fun and new way to eat your meat and potatoes. It only takes a short time to throw it all together then you let the slow cooker do all the work! Definitely a family-friendly meal!
TIPS FOR MAKING CROCK POT SLOPPY JOE CASSEROLE:
Feel free to add in any other veggies or seasoning that you enjoy. Green peppers, red peppers or even corn would be great in this!
You can substitute the shredded hash browns with southern style hash browns, which are the smaller cubed potatoes or you can use the Potatoes O’Brien that have peppers and onion mixed in with the cubed potatoes.
I always serve it with a side salad and sometimes some cornbread. But you could do steamed veggies as well!
I do recommend only using an oval slow cooker. Because there is less surface area in a round slow cooker, this would take longer to cook and I’m not sure it would cook as evenly.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- condensed cheddar cheese soup
- salt and pepper
- ground beef
- sloppy joe sauce
- shredded cheddar cheese
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT SLOPPY JOE CASSEROLE:
Spray a 5-quart oval crock pot (slow cooker) with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine shredded potatoes with the soup, egg, salt and pepper.
Stir well then spread it in the bottom of the crock pot.
In a large skillet, over medium heat, brown and crumble ground beef along with chopped onion. Cook until beef is no longer pink.
Drain excess grease. Stir in sloppy joe sauce.
Spoon sloppy joe mixture over hash brown mixture in crock pot. Cover and cook on low for about 4 to 4 1/2 hours.
About 10 minutes before it is ready, add about a cup or so of shredded cheddar cheese to the top of the casserole. Then put lid back on crock pot and allow the cheese to melt.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
Crock Pot Sloppy Joe Casserole
- 32 ounce package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, sightly thawed
- 10.75 ounce can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ small onion, finely diced
- 15.5 ounce can sloppy joe sauce (I like Manwich)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, for topping
- Spray a 5-qt oval crock pot (slow cooker) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine shredded potatoes with the cheddar cheese soup, egg, salt and pepper.
- Stir well then spread it in the bottom of the crock pot.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, brown and crumble ground beef along with chopped onion. Drain excess grease and put back into the pan.
- Stir in sloppy joe sauce. Spoon sloppy joe mixture over hash brown mixture in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for about 4 to 4 1/2 hours.
- About 10 minutes before the casserole is done cooking, sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese on top. Cover and alllow cheese to melt before serving.
- Shredded hash browns can be substituted for southern style hash browns, which are the smaller cubed potatoes, or you can use the Potatoes O’Brien that have peppers and onion mixed in with the cubed potatoes.
- Serve with a side salad.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
Originally published: June 2013
Updated and republished: December 2022