Crock Pot Cubed Steak with Gravy is the ultimate no-fuss weeknight dinner recipe. Tender, flavorful and goes perfect with mashed potatoes!
A BUDGET-FRIENDLY, FAMILY-FRIENDLY DINNER
This meal is not only inexpensive but it is one of those “set-it and forget-it” type meals. You can toss everything into your slow cooker and dinner will be ready when you are! With only a handful of ingredients, you can have the most delicious, comfort food ready and waiting for you by the time you get home! It’s a meal the whole family will love!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
If you are sensitive to salt, don’t enjoy salted food or need lower sodium for dietary restrictions, you will need to purchase lower sodium or no sodium options where possible. You can always season with salt after it has finished cooking.
You could substitute with Beef Consommé or beef broth. Again, if you need lower sodium options, purchase those instead.
It helps to have a digital crock pot. That way you can cook it for a certain amount of time so and then set it to automatically go to a keep-warm setting. That would be ideal for this recipe.
This is where the crock pot comes in. Using a slow cooker so the meat can slowly cook in gravy will produce cubed steak that you can cut with a fork.
No. If you want the most tender cubed steak, it needs to only be cooked on low.
I serve this cubed steak and gravy with my Million Dollar Mashed Potatoes and smother it in the gravy. You could also serve with rice or egg noodles. For vegetable options, try Italian Green Beans, Bacon Garlic Green Beans or Maple Glazed Carrots.
Cubed steaks come from the cow’s shoulder which is a tough cut of meat since the cow is constantly using its shoulder. The more a cow uses a certain area of its body, the more that area will become tough. Cubed steak is run through a meat tenderizer (which gives it all those tiny little holes) to help make it just a bit more tender.
Yes but make sure you have a large enough crock pot.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I do not recommend freezing.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- au jus gravy mix – if you can’t find this in a lower sodium option, substitute it for some low sodium brown gravy mix.
- cream of chicken soup – as I stated above, please be aware of your own sensitivities or aversion to salt/sodium. Use low or no sodium options where possible. Cream of mushroom can also be used.
- French onion soup – the same applies for this soup. If necessary, use low or no sodium options.
- cubed steaks – This recipe works for 4 cubed steaks. Anything more and you will want to use a larger crock pot and also double the recipe.
- cornstarch and water – this is to make a cornstarch slurry to thicken up the gravy. If you don’t want a thicker gravy, then just skip this step.
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT CUBED STEAK:
In the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker, combine cream of chicken soup, French Onion soup, packet of au jus and water. Stir well. Put cubed steak in slow cooker with gravy mixture and move them around to coat them with the gravy. Cover slow cooker and cook steak on low.
After cooking, it’s time to thicken gravy. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and cold water. Stir mixture into crock pot. You do not need to remove the cubed steaks to do this unless you find it easier to whisk it in. I would put the cubed steaks back in the pot as soon as you’ve mixed it in. Turn the setting to high and cook until gravy is thickened.
Then serve with mashed potatoes.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Originally published: January 2012
Updated & republished: April 2019
Crock Pot Cubed Steak (+Video)
- 10.75 ounce can cream of chicken soup (see notes below)
- 10.5 ounce can French onion soup (see notes below)
- 1 packet au jus gravy mix (see notes below)
- ½ cup water
- 4 cubed steaks
To thicken gravy:
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 Tablespoons cold water
- In the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker, combine 10.75 ounce can cream of chicken soup, 10.5 ounce can French onion soup, 1 packet au jus gravy mix and 1/2 cup water. Stir well.
- Put 4 cubed steaks into gravy mixture and make sure it is coated well.
- Cover slow cooker and cook steak on low for 6-8 hours.
- After cooking, it's time to thicken gravy. In a small bowl, whisk together 3 Tablespoons cornstarch and 3 Tablespoons cold water. Stir mixture into crock pot. You do not need to remove the cubed steaks to do this unless you find it easier to whisk it in. I would put the cubed steaks back in the pot as soon as you've mixed it in.
- Turn the setting to high and cook for 30 minutes (until gravy is thickened.) Then serve!
- NOTE: If you are sensitive to salt, don’t enjoy salted food or need lower sodium for dietary restrictions, you will need to purchase lower sodium or no sodium options where possible. You can always season with additional salt yourself if you prefer.
- If you don’t want to use French Onion Soup you could substitute with low sodium Beef Consommé or Beef Broth.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, rice or egg noodles.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.