I got a thing for loaves
Apparently I am all about them copycat Starbucks loaf recipes lately. I shared a recipe recently for the Starbuck’s Lemon Loaf and I promised I would share the recipe for their gingerbread loaf. This one took a little longer to get on the blog than I initially had planned on. The truth is, I wasn’t real crazy with my first attempt. It wasn’t as moist as I had wanted. And I made WAY too much frosting for one loaf – not that I’m complaining 😉
Back to the drawing board
After realizing it needed something to help make it more tender, I went back to the drawing board. It turns out that it really needed some applesauce. Actually, apple butter would be amazing if you have that on hand. It added that additional moistness without adding a bunch of oil.
And I scaled back on the frosting just a bit so you don’t have a ton leftover. Again, not a problem from my perspective. 🙂 Side note: if you have fresh nutmeg – use it here. Freshly grated nutmeg has the best flavor but the pre-grated nutmeg will do the job in this.
for the loaf:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup apple butter (or applesauce)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
chopped walnuts, for topping (optional)
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan lightly with nonstick cooking spray (the kind with flour in it – like Baker’s Joy.) Using a stand mixer or an electric mixer, cream together the butter and the sugar until fluffy.
When everything is mixed, pour the batter into your loaf pan. Bake for about 55 minutes until it is risen and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely on a rack before frosting.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup applesauce, or apple butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- chopped walnuts, for topping (optional)
- 4 oz cream cheese (1/2 block), room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9x5 loaf pan lightly with nonstick cooking spray (the kind with flour in it - like Baker's Joy.)
- Using a stand mixer or an electric mixer, cream together the butter and the sugar until fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and the egg. Blend in the applesauce.
Slowly add the flour, baking soda and spices (ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.) When everything is mixed, pour the batter into your loaf pan.
- Bake for about 55 minutes until it is risen and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely on a rack before frosting.
Beat the cream cheese with the vanilla and then add 1 1/2 cups of the powdered sugar and beat until smooth and creamy. Add a little more sugar if it's not as thick as you like.
- Spread a thick layer of the frosting over the gingerbread cake. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Then dig in!
Don’t forget to check out my Copycat Starbuck’s Lemon Loaf!