These cherry pie bars are tasty and pretty! A homemade dessert that is easy to make and slices up and serves perfectly! Use any pie filling!
A DELICIOUSLY SIMPLE HOMEMADE DESSERT
Is there anything prettier than a cherry or strawberry dessert? I love the colors, I love the flavors and they are perfect for the holidays. You can use any flavor pie filling to switch it up a bit. Blueberry is another favorite of mine. As always, I love adding a little almond extract along with anything cherry. It really enhances the cherry flavor without overwhelming it.
TIPS FOR MAKING CHERRY PIE BARS:
- I have made this recipe with peach, strawberry, apple and blueberry pie fillings. All of them were amazing and worked perfectly!
- You will need a larger baking sheet for this. It is often called a jelly roll pan. Trust me, it’ll get a ton of use once you make these bars one time. You’ll be hooked! I just know you are going to fall in love with these bars. The cherry filling plays peekaboo around the dollops of dough. They slice up and serve beautifully.
- If you love this recipe, be sure to go have a look at my recipe for Cherry Crumble Bars!
- These bars can be frozen.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- butter – I’m using unsalted here but you could certainly use salted. Just leave out the additional salt included in the recipe.
- sugar – I have not tried this with any sugar substitutes but it should work if you are using a 1:1 ratio sugar substitution (like Splenda for baking).
- large eggs – baked goods turn out best when all the ingredients are at room temperature so that goes for the eggs too.
- vanilla and almond extracts – the almond extract compliments the cherry flavor so well. If you just don’t like almond extract then leave it out.
- all-purpose flour – self rising flour won’t work in this recipe. Because self-rising flour has a leavening agent, it won’t turn out properly in this recipe where there is no leavening agent (like baking powder or baking soda needed).
- cherry pie filling – you can use any pie filling you love with this recipe or make your own! You could also use sugar free options.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CHERRY PIE BARS:
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
Gradually add flour.
Spread 3 cups dough into a greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Spread with pie filling.
Drop remaining dough by teaspoonfuls over filling. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
In a small bowl, mix confectioner’s sugar, extracts and enough milk to reach desired consistency; drizzle over top.
Makes about 12 large slices.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Cherry Pie Bars (+Video)
For the bars:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Gradually add flour.
- Spread 3 cups dough into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread with pie filling.
- Drop remaining dough by teaspoonfuls over filling. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix powdered sugar, extracts and enough milk to reach desired consistency; drizzle over top.
- Use any flavor pie filling you prefer.
- These bars can be frozen.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Originally published: October 2016
Updated & republished: September 2020
Recipe source: Taste of Home (2001)