Bubble Up Pizza is a refrigerated biscuit casserole that uses pizza sauce, sausage, mozzarella cheese and pepperoni to make an easy dinner!
A FUN AND EASY DINNER
So, first let me say, I originally had no intentions of posting this recipe. Mainly because I thought most folks had heard of it or were already making it. So, I didn't expect it when I got an overwhelming response after posting the BUBBLE UP LASAGNA recipe last week. I received a few emails about where folks could find the Bubble Up Pizza recipe that I had mentioned in the BUBBLE UP LASAGNA post.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS PIZZA BISCUIT CASSEROLE:
- Get creative with this! Add in any toppings that your family enjoys! Green peppers, onions and mushrooms are all great add-ins.
- If you don't like the sausage, no problem, just leave it out of the recipe.
- Use ground beef or ground turkey instead of ground sausage.
- If your family loves a lot of sauce, you can add in another jar to this. This is so easy to really make the way your family will enjoy!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- Italian sausage
- pizza sauce
- refrigerated Pillsbury Grands Jr. Biscuits
- mozzarella cheese
- pepperoni slices
HOW TO MAKE BUBBLE UP PIZZA:
Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. If you are not using the pre-cooked sausage, you're going to need to brown and crumble the Italian sausage and drain any excess grease.
Cut each biscuit into eighths. Most recipes for this call for cutting these into quarters and we just find that size to be too big so we like them a bit more bite-sized. Note: This is also a good teaching lesson for the kiddos. A fun way to introduce fractions.
In a bowl, combine pizza sauce with cut-up biscuits and cooked sausage. Stir to combine.
Spread this mixture evenly into prepared baking dish.
Then top with shredded cheese and sliced pepperoni. Little hands love to help with this job!
I like to sprinkle the top with some dried parsley. It doesn't affect the flavor at all but it's something I do because I think it makes it look pretty. But if you don't already have some in your pantry, then don't go out and buy it just for this.
Bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes until biscuits are cooked through. It is closer to the thirty minute mark in my oven.
Then serve. This is great served with a salad.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? HAVE A LOOK AT THESE!
Bubble Up Pizza
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 15 ounce jar pizza sauce
- 12 ounce tube refrigerated Pillsbury Grands Jr. Biscuits
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella heese
- sliced pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cut each biscuit into eighths.
- Brown and crumble the Italian sausage and drain any excess grease.
- In a bowl, combine pizza sauce with cut-up biscuits and cooked sausage. Stir to combine.
- Spread this mixture evenly into prepared baking dish.
- Then top with shredded cheese and sliced pepperoni. Sprinkle with dried parsley (if using)
- Bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes or until biscuits are cooked through.
- Serve with a crisp, green salad. Add in any toppings that your family enjoys: green peppers, onions and mushrooms are all great add-ins.
Originally published: June 2011
Updated & republished: April 2020