Brown Butter Cacio e Pepe is simply spaghetti coated in a butter and Parmesan sauce and loaded with fresh black pepper!
BROWN BUTTER CACIO E PEPE
What is Cacio e Pepe? Cacio e Pepe translated from Italian means "Cheese and Pepper." There are only five, very simple ingredients. So, it's very important that the ingredients you are using are fresh. You absolutely want freshly (and finely) grated Parmesan cheese and freshly cracked black pepper. It will make all the difference in taste.
WHAT IS BROWN BUTTER?
- Brown butter is regular butter that has been cooked just long enough to toast the milk solids found in the butter.
- Heating butter until it is a caramel color brings out a nutty scent and flavor that really adds to the depth of this simple dish.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS AMAZING PASTA DINNER RECIPE:
- Use freshly grated cheese, not pre-grated, it’s not as dry and it melts better and quicker which is key for this dish.
- Butter can be browned in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Simply cut it into chunks before adding to the pasta.
- If you prefer to use unsalted butter, make sure to add salt to taste.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
HOW TO MAKE BROWN BUTTER CACIO E PEPE:
Sprinkle in the cheese and black pepper and stir vigorously until the cheese melts and a light cheesy sauce forms. Add up to 1 additional cup of pasta water to help melt the cheese and reach the desired consistency for the sauce.Serve immediately.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
FETA TOMATO PASTA WITH BASIL
THE BEST BAKED SPAGHETTI
SAUSAGE SPAGHETTI "CUPCAKES"
THE BEST CHICKEN SPAGHETTI
EASY CHEESE STUFFED SHELLS
INSTANT POT CHICKEN SPAGHETTI
INSTANT POT SPAGHETTI & MEATBALLS
THE BEST INSTANT POT BAKED ZITI
BROWN BUTTER CACIO E PEPE
- 1 lb spaghetti or bucatini pasta
- ½ cup salted butter
- 2 cups freshly and finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp freshly cracked pepper
- 1-2 cups pasta water
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Strain the pasta and reserve 2 cups of pasta water and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking add the butter to a skillet and cook over medium heat until the butter has browned and there are brown specs in the butter.
- Add the pasta back into the pot and pour in the browned butter along with 1 cup of pasta water.
- Sprinkle in the cheese and black pepper and stir vigorously until the cheese melts and a light cheesy sauce forms.
- Add up to 1 additional cup of pasta water to help melt the cheese and reach the desired consistency for the sauce.
- Serve immediately.