I’m so thrilled to be doing another Gooseberry Patch cookbook review today. Many of you know that I am a huge fan of Gooseberry Patch cookbooks. They are full of recipes from everyday home cooks like us. You can flip through any one of their cookbooks and you are sure to find many recipes that your family will love.
So I was super giddy when I received the Rush-Hour Recipe Cookbook from Gooseberry Patch. This book is all about meals and desserts that can be made fairly quickly and with just a few ingredients. Perfect for those crazy-busy weeknights. There are even slow cooker meals in here.
So I flipped through and as I usually do, I immediately looked for something sweet. I always go to the dessert section first. Anyone else do that? And I came across this little gem of a recipe called Better than Brownies. It caught my eye because it uses a boxed cake mix, which we all know I love to use. This recipe is located in the section entitled “Speedy Potluck & Party Food”.
1 package (3.4oz) cook & serve chocolate pudding mix (not instant)
2 cups milk
1 (18.5oz) package chocolate cake mix
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts
Make sure you get the Cook & Serve type pudding, not the instant kind.
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. In a medium sauce pan, prepare dry pudding mix according to package directions.
Cook until slightly thickened. (Not too thick, but enough to cover and stick to a spoon).
Remove from heat. Stir in dry cake mix.
Stir until combined.
Spread batter into a greased (I use nonstick cooking spray) 13×9 baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts (if using).
Bake at 350F degrees for about 30 minutes (until an inserted toothpick comes out clean). Cool and cut into squares. Makes about 2 dozen.
Cook’s Review: They are moist and chocolate-y and will satisfy any sweet tooth. The nuts are completely optional in this and you could also use different types of chocolate chips for variety.
Better than Brownies
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 package Cook & Serve Chocolate Pudding Mix 3.4oz, NOT Instant
- 2 cups milk
- 1 package Chocolate Cake Mix 18.5oz
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup Chopped Nuts
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a medium sauce pan, prepare dry pudding mix according to package directions.
- Cook until slightly thickened. (Not too thick, but enough to cover and stick to a spoon).
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in dry cake mix.
- Stir until combined.
- Spread batter into a greased (I use nonstick cooking spray) 13 x 9 baking pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts (if using).
- Bake at 350F degrees for about 30 minutes (until an inserted toothpick comes out clean).
- Cool and cut into squares.