Many of you know that my husband was in the Navy for 14 years and we were very fortunate to be stationed in London from October 1998 to October 2001. It was a really amazing time in our lives and I will always treasure the memories of those years spent living there. We were so fortunate to be able to travel a lot while we were there. We went all around the U.K. We traveled to Scotland, Wales, Isle of Wight and into Ireland and we also made it to France and Italy.
Now let me get to the recipe. Banoffee Pie is one of those desserts I think of when I think of England. This recipe was given to me by my neighbor, Barbara, when we first moved there. We were living in a small bungalow in Northwood (located in Middlesex). The name Banoffee is just a combination of the words, banana and toffee. If you’ve never tried Banoffee Pie before then you really don’t know what you’re missing.It is such a great combination of flavors and folks always ask me for the recipe after they give it a try.
- 1 oz can sweetened condensed milk 14
- 1 graham cracker pie crust instructions for homemade below
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 teaspoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large bananas
- chocolate sprinkles
- FOR HOMEMADE GRAHAM CRUST: OPTIONAL
- 1-½ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 10 tablespoons softened butter
- To make toffee: In a large, covered pot, boil can of unopened sweetened condensed milk for 4 hours (yep, you read that right - 4 hours).
- The can must be completely submerged in water the entire time.
- Allow the can to cool completely before use.
- For the crust: Prepare a homemade graham cracker crust by mixing the graham cracker crumbs with softened butter and press mixture into 8-inch pie plate.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Or save yourself a little time by using a store bought pie crust.
- For the whipped cream: Whip heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla together until stiff peaks form.
- To prepare: Once crust and toffee have cooled, spread the toffee filling into the pie crust.
- Slice bananas and layer on top of the filling.
- Spread whipped cream on top of bananas and sprinkle with chocolate shavings or chocolate sprinkles.