If you’ve never eaten it before, you will probably think it is the weirdest combination of ingredients you ever heard of. Who knew pineapple and cheese could make such beautiful music together? Well, they can. The sweetness of the pineapples and glaze combined with the zing of the sharp cheddar and slight saltiness and crunchiness from the Ritz crackers makes for a surprisingly amazing flavor combo. You’re gonna have to trust me on this is all I can say. And really, you should never trust anyone who says “Trust me.” But ya know, I’m saying it anyway. But not in a sleazy, used car salesman kinda way. Not that all used car salesmen are sleazy, mind you. I’m just sayin’…trust me, it’s good. It is meant to be a side dish. And it goes amazingly well with ham. I could eat this as a side dish or as a dessert really. I think once you’ve had a bite, you’ll be hooked too.
Add drained pineapple chunks to pot and stir.
Add shredded cheese to cooled pineapple mixture and pour into baking dish.
Southern Pineapple Casserole
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp pineapple Jell-O Jell-O
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1 20 oz can pineapple tidbits or chunks (in 100% juice) not heavy syrup
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese finely shredded
- 1 1/2 sleeves Ritz crackers crushed
- 1/2 stick butter melted
- 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, whisk together water, sugar, 3 tbsp. pineapple gelatin mix, and 3 tbsp. corn starch until thoroughly combined and you get all the lumps out.
- Turn heat up to high and let mixture to come to a boil and thicken.
- Continue to whisk.
- Once thickened, take off heat.
- Drain pineapple chunks thoroughly, setting aside 1/2 cup of the juice.
- Add drained pineapple chunks to pot and stir.
- In a large Ziploc bag, finely crush Ritz crackers.
- Add crushed crackers, melted butter and 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice into a medium bowl and stir until combined.
- Add shredded cheese to cooled pineapple mixture and pour into baking dish.
- Spread Ritz cracker topping over pineapple mixture.
- Bake in oven for about 30-35 minutes (until topping is golden brown.)