Well, I just keep giving y’all sweet dishes to work with lately, don’t I? I can’t help myself some weeks. Every now and then you get into a sweet baking mood and you just can’t shake it. And today’s recipe is no exception.
This recipe is called Honey Bun Cake. Doesn’t it just sound good? And you know why I especially love this recipe? Because it uses a boxed cake mix. Boxed cake mixes are the home cook’s little helper. Or if you are new at baking, then this is a great way to jazz up the boxed cake mix to make it something a little more special.
Some days you want to have a good dessert after supper but you have minimal time to prepare one and the boxed cake mix just comes through for you every time. Ain’t no shame in my game!
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup sour cream
¾ cup vegetable oil
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 cups powdered sugar
4-6 tbsp. milk
Place the cake into the oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. While the cake is baking, make the glaze. In a bowl, mix the powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and honey (if using) until glaze is smooth. I like mine just a bit thick but still pourable.
Spread the glaze out a bit to evenly cover cake.
Honey Bun Cake
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Calories 400 kcal
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¾ cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey optional
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl stir together the cake mix, eggs, sour cream, and oil and mix until well-incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon until well-blended; set aside.
- Pour half of the cake batter into a greased 13×9 pan, spreading it out evenly.
- Add all of the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture to the top, covering the entire layer of batter.
- Pour the rest of the cake batter on top, and spread the batter out as evenly as possible.
- Place the cake into the oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the glaze.
- In a bowl, mix the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until glaze is smooth.
- When the cake comes out of the oven, immediately pour glaze onto the hot cake.
- Spread it out evenly.
Let the cake sit for a few minutes so the glaze can set and serve warm or at room temperature.