How many of y’all grew up with Chicken and Rice? I think most countries and cultures have some sort of variation of a chicken and rice recipe. It is comfort food that is filling and makes your belly happy. This recipe I’m sharing you today is a slight variation of one from my childhood. The original recipe called for two cans of cream of chicken soup. I like to make it with a can of cheddar cheese soup. It gives it a great cheesy flavor and I also like to use some different seasonings to amp up the flavor a little bit without overpowering all the other tastes going on. This is a very simple and affordable meal (which we love!) that easily feeds a family of four.
1 1/2 cups water
1 small onion, diced
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
shredded cheese for topping (optional)
Stir well to combine.
Spray your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
Pour soup mixture over chicken breasts.
Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
Crockpot Cheesy Chicken and Rice
- 1 oz can cream of chicken undiluted, 10 .
- 1 oz can cheddar cheese soup undiluted, 10
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/2 tbsp . lemon pepper seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste
- shredded cheese
- In a medium bowl, combine cream of chicken soup, cheddar cheese soup, water, diced onion and rice.
- Stir well to combine.
- Spray your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Put chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Season with Lemon & Pepper Seasoning.
- This adds a lot of flavor to the chicken. It is not overly lemon-y.
- If you've never used it before, give it a try.
- This is a great all-purpose seasoning.
- Be sure to season with a bit of salt & pepper too.
- Pour soup mixture over chicken breasts.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
Recipe NotesDepending on how you want to serve this, you could shred the chicken up a bit and serve it all combined that way. Or leave the chicken breasts whole and then just spoon some of the creamy rice mixture on top.
For extra cheesiness, try adding some shredded cheddar cheese during the last 15 minutes of cooking. Put the lid back on and allow it to melt.