- 16 cherry tomatoes large size
- 1/2 pound bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup minced green onions white and green parts
- 2 tbsp minced romaine lettuce
- Cut a thin slice off the bottom end (not the stem end) of each tomato, and scoop out and discard the pulp.
- Drain the tomatoes, cut side down, on paper towels for 10 minutes.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stir gently to mix well.
- Spoon this mixture into the tomatoes.
Be sure to get the larger size cherry tomatoes or you'll have a very difficult time stuffing these. They are sometimes called cocktail tomatoes. Also, I just used hickory smoked bacon because that is easier for me to find at my local grocery store. I think regular ole iceberg lettuce would work fine in this recipe.
Refrigerate, covered, for at least one hour, but not overnight.
Also, these are not an appetizer that can be made the evening before. But, I think you could make the filling a day ahead of time. Just be sure that you put the filling in an airtight container with a locking lid. This is a great dish to make with a friend!