These cakes are the most popular recipes on Mary’s blog. With over 2 million pageviews, you can bet these have been a huge hit with young and old alike! Today, Mary is sharing her Spiced Cake version (to get us all in a fall frame of mind!) Just like the original Chocolate Crazy Cake, this wonderful cake has no eggs, milk or butter – you don’t even need a bowl! Moist and delicious!
1 1/2 cups flour + 2 tablespoons (all-purpose)
1 Tbsp. pumpkin spice
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
5 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup water
- You can double this recipe, just use a 9×13 baking pan.
- Mix the batter in a bowl for neater, easier mixing. Be sure to follow the directions the same way – mixing the dry ingredients then making the depressions for the wet ingredients. Don’t forget to grease you pan.
Spiced Wacky Cake
- 1 1/2 cups flour + 2 Tablespoons all-purpose
- 1 Tablespoons pumpkin spice
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix first 5 dry ingredients in a greased 8" square baking pan.
Make 3 depressions in dry ingredients - two small, one larger (see #3 in photo below).
Pour vinegar in one depression, vanilla in the other and the vegetable oil in third larger depression. Pour water over all. Mix well until smooth.
Bake on middle rack of oven for 35 minutes.
Check with toothpick to make sure it comes out clean.
Top with your favorite frosting (I use vanilla).