Raise your hand if you love meatball subs? Now how would you like to take all those flavors you love about a meatball sub and turn it into a casserole? Well, here ya go folks. This was the best tasting casserole I have had in a while. Not only was it super easy to make but the flavors blended so well together. The smells that were coming outta my kitchen the evening I made this were so good that the neighbor’s little boy said he just had to come over and eat supper with us. And he did! This is a family friendly meal and using the pre-made meatballs really makes this quick to make.
This delicious casserole recipe comes from the latest Gooseberry Patch cookbook, 101 Cozy Casseroles. I’ve been in Gooseberry Patch heaven with all the new cookbooks that have been coming out.
Each recipe in this cookbook comes with a picture. So if you’re a visual person, you’re gonna love this cookbook. In fact, the pictures were so gorgeous, I had a hard time deciding which recipe to choose to make for y’all. And I’m pleased to say that my casserole looks just like it did in the Gooseberry Patch book so you know yours will too!
1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1-inch thick slices
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1-lb. pkg. fully cooked frozen meatballs, thawed
1 (28 oz.) jar pasta sauce
Just fill in any gaps with smaller bits of bread. I did have a couple slices of bread leftover since my loaf of Italian bread was pretty wide. I used those extra slices to make some garlic bread to serve with this. In a bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise and seasonings. Spread mixture over bread slices.
Sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese.
Gently mix together spaghetti sauce and meatballs. Spoon over cheese.
Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes. Serve with a green salad.
Cook’s Notes: Some folks are concerned about the bread coming out too soggy. My advice for this is to toast the bread slices before placing them in the bottom of your baking dish. This should help them maintain their shape and texture while cooking.
Meatball Sub Casserole
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 6 -8
- 1 inch loaf Italian bread cut into 1- thick slices
- 1 oz package cream cheese softened, 8 .
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp . Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp . pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1- lb . pkg. fully cooked frozen meatballs thawed
- 1 oz jar pasta sauce 28 .
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Arrange bread slices in a single layer in an ungreased 9 x 13 baking dish. Fill in any gabs with pieces of bread. Note: I recommend toasting the bread first. You can place the dish into the oven (on the broiler setting) and toast both sides. It should only take a minute or two.
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise and seasonings.
- Spread mixture over bread slices.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Gently mix together spaghetti sauce and meatballs.
- Spoon over cheese.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes.
Recipe NotesServe with a green salad.