Daylight savings time is a big deal around our house. Mostly because we wake up like zombies in the morning for a couple of weeks until we all adjust. But also because we are very excited about spring being right around the corner and more daylight in the evenings. I think that is what depresses me most about winter. Less daylight. When you go to work and it’s dark and you leave work and it’s dark, you start feeling like a vampire. What else gets me excited about spring? Strawberries! One of the nature’s most wonderful bounties of late spring around here are strawberries. I can usually round up some delicious strawberries in the supermarket around this time but we can’t wait to be able to pick some ourselves. This is one of my favorite springtime recipes. It’s a fun little take on Strawberry Shortcake.
1 box (16.5 oz) white (or yellow) cake mix
additional ingredients to make cake; egg whites, oil and water
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 (8oz.) container whipped topping (COOL WHIP), thawed
1 container (13.5 oz.) premade strawberry glaze
3 cups fresh strawberries, tops cut off and sliced
I’m using the store bought strawberry glaze.
Allow the cake to cool. Then make the next layer. In a mixing bowl, combine softened cream cheese with powdered sugar until smooth.
Plop in your thawed whipped topping.
And combine well.
Smooth over your cooled white cake.
In a bowl combine the strawberry glaze with your strawberries.
Slice and serve. This cake needs to be kept refrigerated.
Strawberry Shortcake Cake
Author: The Country Cook
- 1 box (16.5 oz) white cake mix
- Additional ingredients to make cake; egg whites, oil and water
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese (softened to room temperature)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 (8oz.) container whipped topping (thawed)
- 1 container (13.5 oz.) premade strawberry glaze
- 3 cups fresh strawberries (hulled and cut into bite size pieces)
- Make your white cake according to package directions for a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Allow the cake to cool.
- Then make the next layer.
- In a mixing bowl, combine softened cream cheese with powdered sugar until smooth.
- Plop in your thawed whipped topping and combine well.
- Smooth over the cooled white cake.
- In a bowl combine the strawberry glaze with the sliced strawberries.
- Spread this mixture on top of the cake.
- Slice and serve.
This cake needs to be kept refrigerated. You can usually find the strawberry glaze in the fruit section of your grocery store. Most grocers keep it right next to the strawberries. You can also make your own strawberry pie glaze if you have a favorite recipe for it.