First, a little backstory behind this recipe…My husband and I were married in 1997. The following year we moved to England. My husband was in the Navy and that was to be our new duty station. I was only 22 years old at the time and I was ecstatic about living in another country but I was also a little scared about moving so far away from all of our friends and family. We were to be there for 3 years and that meant I was also going to have to find a job there and learn to drive on the wrong side left side of the road.
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1 ½ cups of mayonnaise (no Miracle Whip please)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 3-4 tablespoons of chicken stock or broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- 4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- Peel and dice potatoes into cubes.
- Place potatoes into a large pot of water.
- Boil for about 20 minutes (or until fork tender).
- Take care not to overcook your potatoes – you don’t want them overly mushy.
- Mix mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, chicken stock and salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add potatoes, celery, onion and stir gently.
- Stir in eggs.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours to blend flavors and chill.
How do you make the perfect hard boiled egg? Put eggs in a medium pot. Cover with cool water. Place on burner over high heat. Bring to a boil then take pot off of heat and cover with lid. Set timer for 15 minutes. Dump water out of pot and rinse with cool water. You will have perfectly hard boiled eggs and no green rings!